Friday, June 11, 2010

Another Milestone

Our amniocentesis results are finally here, both of them. I won't keep you in suspense, everything's fine, more than fine, it's wonderful! Both babies have the normal amount of chromosomes, "look" genetically normal, and neither of them have spina bifida. I can't really explain what a relief this was. We knew we were having these babies no matter what the results came back as and we would be loving them to pieces no matter what, but the journey here has been a long one, to say the least.
I know that some of you have been in this journey with me during the long haul, but many of you haven't. Scott and I had to do IVF (invitro fertilization) to have these babies. One day back in December I went to my first appointment in the Women's Health Clinic here at UIHC where I work. I thought I would get some simple advice about what I needed to do in order to increase our chances of conception. A couple of hours later I left the clinic devastated and in tears. My chances of conception were very slim, they were basically nil if Scott and I choose to go the natural route. Our best chance was to try IVF and to start immediately. My chances still were around 10 to 15% of conceiving this way. I wanted to give up.
I really didn't think I could face the challenge, the possible wrenching heartbreak of trying to conceive this way, and most of all the enormous possibility of failure. Scott consoled me very gently, letting me know that whatever happened would be the right thing for us, and then let me know that if I tried he would be there every step of the way. Thank god for Scott. If he wasn't there for me every step of the way, learning how to give injections, calming me down when I felt crazy from hormone overload, and just loving me, we would not be sharing the joy of the coming birth of our twins with all of you. And it is a joy. A miracle of science, hope and perseverance.
Thank you Scott for encouraging me to face this challenge. And thank you, thank you, thank you to Dr. Steggman, Dr Mains, and all the wonderful staff in the IVF clinic at UIHC.

No comments: