
Let's go upstairs. Things are pretty interesting up here too. : ) There's a funny smell, kindy musty, but I think once we rip all the carpet out it will help. We've considered ripping out the right hand wall on this staircase to make it open, but have decided that we really need the wall space on the other side for cupboards in the kitchen. You can refer back to the previous post and see what I mean.

This is the room that I'd really like the cast iron bathtub in. The configuration is perfect! But, poor Scott would have to carry (shove? pull?) a gazillion pound behemouth up here with the help of some unsuspecting relative who would probably never speak to us again if we tried it, so I'll probably have to think of something else. But c'mon! It really would look perfect! It has wide plank pine floors, but I think we'll probably paint them. There are gaps in between some of the boards and if we put a bathroom in there the gaps will have to be caulked to prevent any water from seeping through to the kitchen ceiling. Caulk doesn't stain well.

This room is in the front of the house and will be Dreyson's room. I think he'll be so excited to have a room bigger than a shoebox. Again, we'll pull up the carpet and either stain or paint the floor. We have a little day bed for him to use in here (which at the rate he's growing may last for a year or two) and I have plans for the over burdened Scott to build a trundle bed frame to roll underneath it for when the little guy has friends over. Both this room and the future bathroom are drywalled and insulated, so a coat of paint a little window repair and we're off and roaring with these two! Oh, and the ceilings have been drywalled too, unfortunately with that special textured sparkly stuff, which will require some scraping and a little paint, but it's much much better than having to drywall a ceiling!

This last room will be my and Scott's bedroom. Don't you love the 70s rusty orange color pallette? We considered putting both of the kids' rooms upstairs, but if you'll notice: there's a door in the corner up there that goes out to the porch ceiling. So we'll just take that temptation off the table. We love the dimensions of this room. It has a slanted ceiling, nice filtered light, and as you'll notice, and as Scott said, "There's nothing like a little fake brick paneling to cover up real brick." The down side is that it has a tiny closet, and we're still thinking on that one. Closet space is always at a premium in old houses. But there are gorgeous wood floors under the carpet which we'll refinish and you can see too that the trim in this room hasn't been painted so there's another bonus! The ceiling will have to be drywalled as there are ceiling tiles up there that are looking a little past their prime. More fun! But really, the upstairs is going to be the easiest part....I know, I just finished a remodel at the house in Iowa City, and there may be something fundamentally wrong with me for taking on another one right after I just finished the last one but I haven't worn Scott down yet so I might as well keep going!
Thanks for taking the tour!
No comments:
Post a Comment